*NOTE: OUR LIVE ONLINE CLASSES ARE ENROLLING NOW! EMAIL FOR DETAILS.
- Why are our classes special? LIMITED CLASS SIZE, and an REAL instruction.
- Many classes offered in the city are crammed with up to 20 or more students in a 3 hour period. We believe this does not leave sufficient time to actually work on material with the instructor once it's presented. We limit our online class size to no more than-10 so each student gets ample individual attention in a group setting. That way everybody gets to apply the lessons discussed with others to their own material. (Students do not "critique" each other.)
- We work in 2 areas: Writing and Performance. Rather than just a critique session, we work with you line by line, teaching and re-enforcing comedy writing structure as well as the performance technique.
- In the 5/1 online program we will do 5 consecutive (once weekly) online classroom sessions thru ZOOM. (About 3 hours each) then a virtual showcase for an audience invited by you, as well as current students.
- The cost is $350.00 for the 5/1 program. (SPECIAL ONLINE PRICE) Payable in advance by credit card.
- The overall goal of the classes is to provide you with the basic writing and performance skills to develop a 5 minute stand-up comedy routine.
- You will learn the elements of joke structure and comedy writing technique. You will then learn how to take all that clever stuff you think of all day and turn it into presentable stand-up comedy material.
- You will learn about different styles of delivery and timing.
- You will learn the concepts of stage persona, character, and point of view. This is especially useful to actors who want to learn stand-up. You'll learn to what to use from your acting training and what NOT to use.
- You will learn to recognize and highlight elements of your own personality and how to write from your own comic perspective.
- You will learn performance technique. For those of you who rarely speak in front of crowds there are simple yet effective techniques you can use to transform your presentation from timid to masterful.
NOTE: This is NOT a "story telling" or "improv" course. This is for people who want to learn to do stand-up comedy, like the comedians you see on TV and comedy clubs. PLEASE take a story telling course if you don’t want to do jokes.
NOTE: You will be required to write your material down and Share a copy to the instructor before working in the class each week via email or google docs.
NOTE: If you are prone to saying, "I'm not funny", don't take this class. We can't give you a sense of humor. We can give you structure and performance education. But you have to think you're funny first. (Even if you're not. You have to THINK you are, and strive to be.)
NOTE: Easily offended people do not do well in this class. Politics, sex, race, and religion are frequent topics. While Rick and Veronica will strive to shape the material to professional standards, we cannot guarantee you won’t be offended from time to time. It’s best to focus on what YOU want to say and not worry about others. We are not going to spend time debating issues. Our goal is to make them funny.
NOTE: This class is NOT a way to get booked at the Comedy Cellar. Do not take this class with the idea that the powers that be at the Comedy Cellar will see your performance and consider you to be on their regular shows. The class is NOT connected to the booking arm of the Comedy Cellar.
Some returning students may also be in the Comedy Basics class. We work with everyone individually, at their own pace so the basics is fine. It’s really about what’s most convenient for people’s schedules.
Classes will be filled in a first come first serve basis. As you know from last time they can sell out in a matter of minutes once opened to the general pubic.
THE COST: for the whole package is $350.00 FOR THE 5/1 program, payable in advance by credit card.
Once enrollment is confirmed all class tuitions and deposits are non-refundable unless the class would be canceled for some reason. (Which will not happen except for a Natural Disaster )
All students must be 18 years old or over.
On rare occasions Rick Crom or Veronica Mosey may have to substitute for one another. Illness or big time show business opportunities can strike unexpectedly.
IF YOU MISS A CLASS: No make-up classes are offered or guaranteed. It may be possible to sub in another class but check with your instructor.
Classes, and showcase performances do not roll over into the next semester. Tuitions do not role over into the next semester.
It is understood that to sign up for the class means you are committing to the entire fee of $350.00 for 5 sessions and 1 showcases , whether you attend those sessions or not. Tuitions are NON-REFUNDABLE.
****The Comedy Cellar is hosting Rick Crom’s Comedy Class but is not the legally responsible party in any transaction or dispute. Rick Crom is the sole proprietor of “Rick Crom’s Comedy Class LLC” which is the legally responsible party in all transactions or disputes.